Originally named Big Game in 1996, Mega Millions is a huge multi-state lottery game. Since rebranding in 2002, the game has seen some of the biggest jackpot winners in history, with the record jackpot of $1.537 billion being won by three lucky players back in 2016.
Find out more about the popular American game, including Megaplier information and how to take part from Australia.
How to Play
Playing Mega Millions from Australia is possible through online betting services like Jackpot.com. These services are heavily regulated which means playing through them is very safe and your money is protected.
- Create an account - Clicking on any play banner for Mega Millions on Australia.National-Lottery.com will take you to a regulated betting service. Once you’re there you can create an account and begin playing.
- Pick your numbers - Choose 5 main numbers between 1 and 70 and one Mega Ball between 1 and 25.
- Playing the Megaplier? - Decide whether or not you want to add the Megaplier option to your ticket.
- Pay for your entries – Confirm and purchase your entries before the cut-off time on draw nights.
- Get the results - Sit back and wait for the Results to be available straight after the draws on Tuesday and Friday.
You must match all 5 main numbers plus the Mega Ball to win the jackpot in Mega Millions. There are another eight ways to win including matching only the Mega Ball for a cash prize of $2. The odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 302.5 million and the odds of winning any prize are 1 in 24.
The follow table shows the prizes available in each division and the odds of winning. The prizes in Mega Millions are fixed in all states except California.
|Division||Numbers Matched||Prize Amount||Odds of Winning|
|1||Match 5 + Mega Ball||Jackpot (Variable)||1 in 302,575,350|
|2||Match 5||$1,000,000||1 in 12,607,306|
|3||Match 4 + Mega Ball||$10,000||1 in 931,001|
|4||Match 4||$500||1 in 38,792|
|5||Match 3 + Mega Ball||$200||1 in 14,547|
|6||Match 3||$10||1 in 606|
|7||Match 2 + Mega Ball||$10||1 in 693|
|8||Match 1 + Mega Ball||$4||1 in 89|
|9||Match 0 + Mega Ball||$2||1 in 37|
Similar to the Power Play in US Powerball, the Megaplier costs $1 to add on to your ticket and increases the value of the non-jackpot winning prizes.
A Megaplier number from 2 to 5 is drawn on the night of the Mega Millions draw. If you are participating in the Megaplier, any prizes won will be multiplied by the Megaplier numbers.
Just the Jackpot
If you’re feeling lucky there is an option to play Just the Jackpot. Players will pay for two lines but the only option is to win the jackpot. There are no prizes for matching any fewer than the five main numbers and the Mega Ball.
Although the US Powerball holds the record for the biggest jackpot ever won in the world, Mega Millions currently holds the record for the biggest lottery jackpot ever won by a single ticket holder. In October 2019, South Carolina player took 5 months to come forward to claim the $1.537 billion jackpot after which, they decided to take the cash option of $877.7 million and opted to stay anonymous.